Make A

Coast to Country Housing Company has been providing a pathway home for people since 1991, but we can’t do it alone. Your tax deductible donation will provide individuals and families with a place to connect with their community, realise opportunities and achieve the life they have imagined; a house that they can make their home. Your support will provide someone a place to call home.


Frequently Asked Questions

How can I pay my rent?

If you are receiving a payment from Centrelink, we can easily set up a regular deduction from your payment using Centrepay – this is the easiest way to pay your rent! You can also pay your rent using cash or by EFTPOS in our office, or if you can’t get to us, you can also pay by bank deposit. Just give us a call to find out the details if you’d like to pay this way.

How can I move from my current house?

There are lots of reasons you might like to move, but you’ll need to complete a Transfer Application.

When you return this application to C2C, you will also need to provide:

Once you submit this information, C2C will get to work to find somewhere suitable for you to transfer to. We will also submit the application to Department of Housing & Public Works so that they know you want to move too.

Want To Know More?

Get In Touch!

We’re always available to talk through a new application, leasing a property, or give advice for existing clients and landlords.

Contact Us

Submit A Maintenance Issue

Fill out the form below with your issue, and a Coast To Country staff member will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not use this form to report Emergency Maintenance.

Submit Feedback

Fill out the form below with your feedback or complaint. A Coast To Country staff member will provide a response within 14 days. You can rest assured that we will look in to this.